Social Media Manager Job Description
The Social Media Manager will administer the company’s social media marketing and advertising. Administration includes but is not limited to:
- Deliberate planning and goal setting
- Development of brand awareness and online reputation
- Content management
- SEO (search engine optimization) and generation of inbound traffic
- Cultivation of leads and sales
The Social Media Manager is a highly motivated, creative individual with experience and a passion for connecting with current and future customers. That passion comes through as he/she engages with customers on a daily basis, with the ultimate goal of turning fans into customers.
Community leadership and participation (both online and offline) are integral to a Social Media Manager’s success. An essential component is communicating the company’s brand in a positive, authentic way what will attract today’s modern, hyper-connected buyers.
The Social Media Manager is instrumental in managing the company’s content-related assets. Google’s #1 search ranking factor is relevant content (content that serves the searchers needs the best). It’s clear then that managing content should be part of the Social Media Manager’s Job Description.
Content management duties include:
- Administrate the creation and publishing of relevant, original, high-quality content.
- Identify and improve organizational development aspects that would improve content (ie: employee training, recognition and rewards for participation in the company’s marketing and online review building).
- Create a regular publishing schedule.
- Leverage the right tools to manage your content.
- Implement a content editorial calendar to manage content and plan specific, timely marketing campaigns.
- Promote content through social advertising.
The Social Media Manager should always be learning, as it’s a crucial component to their success. Social and digital marketing “Best Practices” shift constantly, so a budget should be allocated for training and/or attendance at applicable industry-specific conferences.
Responsibilities of the Social Media Manager
The first responsibility of a Social Media Manager is to develop and implement a social media marketing plan. The marketing plan will include the following components and should be reviewed no less than every 90 days.
1. Brand Development
“Why” is the reason customers buy. A great “why buy here” message is unique to your company, is backed up by facts (awards, numbers, in-store policies) and answers “What’s in it for me?” for the shopper.
2. Identify Target Customers
Your product cannot possibly be all things to all people. Until you accept the notion that you must keep your market focus tight, you’ll constrict your business’ ability to grow.
3. Set Clear Objectives
All marketing plans include defined, realistic goals. It isn’t enough to say you “see” results. Your results must tie back to your goals and objectives. You’ll never know ROI without goal setting and strategy.
4. Visual Design and Web Development Strategy
Visual content has a lasting effect on the viewer. Your visual branding must be consistent. Whether it’s your status updates, your landing pages or your Facebook ads, what the audience sees is what they’ll remember. Make sure it’s compelling and gets the point across.
5. Solid Content Strategy
One of the most frequently asked questions I get is, “How do I know what to post on our page?” In order to know the answer to that question, you must have a solid idea of who you are as a brand and who your target customers are.
- What is it about your company that makes it unique…makes people want to buy from you? Answer that question in detail.
- Describe your target customers. What are their interests, concerns and issues? How can you help them come to a purchase decision with the content you publish?
- Don’t forget about those fans who are not in-market. What can you offer them to make their time with you interesting?
6. Promotion Strategy
It is essential to continually grow your fan base and promote your content. Social media is now pay to play.
7. Engagement Strategy
Your Social Media manager should listen, respond, ask questions and engage your audience. There should be careful consideration on how he/she responds to organic (non-paid) leads that appear in the comment section of your posts.
8. Conversion Strategy
With growth and engagement strategies in place, the Social Media Manager’s job is to convert fans into customers and your marketing plan should outline the steps required.
9. Measure & Analyze to Establish ROI
You’ll need to determine the KPI’s (key performance indicators) that matter most to your business.
- Audience Growth
- Audience Profile
- Audience Engagement
- Content Reach
- Engagement by Content Type
- Response Rate and Quality
- Negative Feedback
Measure results on a daily basis. Your results should tie back to your objectives and provide a clear understanding of the returns you’re getting.
Essential Duties of the Social Media Manager
Manage social media marketing campaigns and day-to-day activities including:
- Develop relevant content topics to reach the company’s target customers.
- Create, curate, and manage all published content (images, video and written).
- Monitor, listen and respond to users in a “Social” way while cultivating leads and sales.
- Conduct online advocacy and open a stream for cross-promotions.
- Develop and expand community and/or influencer outreach efforts.
- Oversee design (ie: Facebook Timeline cover, profile pic, thumbnails, ads, landing pages, Twitter profile, Blog, etc.).
- Design, create and manage promotions and Social ad campaigns.
- Manage efforts in building online reviews and reputation. Monitor online reviews and respond to each review.
- Analyze key metrics and tweak strategy as needed.
- Compile reports for management showing results (ROI).
- Become an advocate for the company in social media spaces, engaging in dialogues and answering questions where appropriate.
- Demonstrate ability to map out a comprehensive marketing plan. Drive strategies that are proven by testing and metrics.
- Develop organizational elements in order to implement a proactive process for capturing happy, loyal customer online reviews.
- Monitor trends in social media tools, applications, channels, design and strategy.
- Implement ongoing education to remain highly effective.
- Identify threats and opportunities in user-generated content surrounding the company. Report notable threats to appropriate management.
- Analyze campaigns and translate anecdotal or qualitative data into recommendations and plans for revising social media, content marketing, SEO and social advertising campaigns.
- Monitor effective benchmarks (Best Practices) for measuring the impact of social media campaigns. Analyze, review, and report on the effectiveness of campaigns in an effort to maximize results.
Qualifications and Experience
- Possesses knowledge and experience in the tenets of traditional marketing. Marketing degree is welcomed but not required with relevant work experience.
- Demonstrates creativity and documented immersion in social media.
- Proficient in content marketing theory and application.
- Experience sourcing and managing content development and publishing.
- Exhibits the ability to jump from the creative side of marketing to analytical side, able to demonstrate why their ideas are analytically sound.
- Displays in-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms, their respective participants (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest etc.) and how each platform can be deployed in different scenarios.
- Maintains excellent writing and language skills.
- Enjoys a working knowledge of the blogging ecosystem relevant to the company’s field.
- Displays ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written and video format.
- Exceeds at building and maintaining sales relationships, online and off.
- Practices superior time management.
- Is a team player with the confidence to take the lead and guide other employees when necessary. (ie: content development, creation and editing of content, and online reputation management).
- Makes evident good technical understanding and can pick up new tools quickly.
- Maintains a working knowledge of principles of SEO including keyword research and Google Analytics. Highly knowledgeable in the principles of “Search and Social.”
- Possesses functional knowledge and/or personal experience with WordPress.
- Demonstrates winning Social Customer Service techniques such as empathy, patience, advocacy and conflict resolution.
- Possesses great ability to identify potential negative or crisis situation and apply conflict resolution principles to mitigate issues.
Internship Duration: 3-6 months
Monthly Allowance: Contact us for allowance enquiry